logo
POST TIME: 11 January, 2018 00:00 00 AM
Saudi prince fired upon audio tape
Al Jazeera

Saudi prince fired upon audio tape

Riyadh: A Saudi prince was removed from his post after he released an audio recording that contradicted the Saudi authorities’ version of the arrest of 11 princes in Riyadh last week, reports said, reports Al Jazeera.

Prince Abdullah bin Saud, who was appointed president of the Saudi Marine Sports Federation back in October, stressed that the recording, which was released on Monday, was his own personal initiative.

The arrests occurred on January 4, and were carried out by an elite force called the Blood-rusted Sword that is directly linked to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

The official version given by the government was that the princes were arrested after protesting austerity measures in front of a royal palace.

Yet Saudi activists on social media said the rally was an objection to a campaign of arrests targeting royals and the absence of former Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef. “Because I am close to the events, I want to clarify an important point,” Abdullah bin Saud began. “These young men are the finest youth of our country, and there is no way that they can object to the orders of the rulers.”