Sunday 24 May 2026 ,
Sunday 24 May 2026 ,
Latest News
10 July, 2016 00:00 00 AM
Print

‘Iran will continue missile programme’

Missile tests inconsistent with nuclear deal: UN
AP, Tehran

AP, Tehran: Iran said Saturday it will continue its ballistic missile programme, after the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon said that the missile tests aren’t in the spirit of the country’s landmark nuclear deal with world powers.
“Iran will strongly continue its missile program based on its own defense and national security calculations,” foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Ghasemi said in comments published on the ministry’s website.
Iran’s missile programme is not linked to the nuclear deal and does not conflict with the UN Security Council resolution endorsing the agreement, he said. “Iran’s missile programme has aimed at defense and it is not designed to carry a nuclear warhead,” he added.
In the first six-month report to the UN Security Council on the implementation of the resolution, the UN chief called on Iran to stop the tests and said they increase tensions in the Mideast. The resolution, which was adopted on July 20, authorized measures leading to the end of UN sanctions on Iran.
The US, France, Britain and Germany called in March for the Security Council to discuss “appropriate responses” to Iran’s ballistic missile activity, which they said was “destabilizing and provocative.”
Iran’s nuclear chief Ali Akbar Salehi described the international response as “strange,” adding that “I think a conspiracy is taking shape.”
After the UN nuclear agency certified in mid-January that Iran had met all of its commitments under the nuclear deal, many Western economic sanctions that had been in place for years were lifted, unlocking access to $100 billion in frozen assets and unleashing new opportunities for the country’s battered economy.
Iran is, however, still subject to a UN arms embargo and other restrictions, and the UN resolution includes a provision that would automatically reinstate sanctions if Tehran reneges on its promises.

 

Comments


Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting